Thursday, July 10, 2008

Guitar Heroes




The Jazz festival sort of escaped me this year. It's such a highlight in Montreal and I've had so much fun at the Festival in the past. I did manage to take in a few things sort of in passing. But I did plan on seeing one concert in advance. It was suggested that I go see a duo called Rodrigo y Gabriela and just from the description this guy gave of them I was definitely interested. Mistaya's boyfriend Fred actually worked on the Festival this year so me and Kendra were able to go for free which was awesome.

I knew a little about Rodrigo y Gabriela because I checked them out on youtube before. What I loved about the performance was that it was simple in presentation but dynamic and infectious and totally inspiring. These two people just love playing guitar, they're good at it and they want to share with the world what they're passionate about.

I loved how they weren't really playing to each other. They sat side by side most of the time but they played as individuals and yet their music was always in synch and supportive of one another. Gabriela does a lot of the bass driven, percussive rhythms and Rodrigo does incredible finger work and melodies and together they play at record breaking tempos. It's just so amazing to watch two people who are genuinely good at their craft. The energy they gave off was truly humbling. There was no bullshit to their performances. They simply came out and did a wonderful show for the audience at Place des Arts. Amazing.

No comments: