Saturday, May 31, 2008



Went to see Miss Honey Dijon at Stereo last weekend. I was still pretty tired from the week before but I had bought my ticket in advance so I felt compelled to go. Plus I really love Honey Dijon and the last time she was playing here there was a blizzard and there was no way that I was going to go out that night. What can I say? She didn't disappoint but I was expecting more. Maybe it was because I was already exhausted from having a few drinks at Blue Dog beforehand, but I was pretty much ready for bed by the time I arrived at around three. Stereo wasn't packed which surprised me since it was full for Deadmau5 the friday past. Honey played a solid set, everything I expect from a DJ of her calibre. It's pretty classic underground Progressive House: A little sexy with some familiar vocals, hard at times with a bit of tribal thrown in. Gay but not "Circuit". It truly is a fine line and her sound is a crossover sound so it appeals to both a gay and straight crowd which is great.She started with "Work" and through in a Rihanna vocal through some tracks which was cool. I'm glad she played Robyn S. "Show Me Love" though I probably should have just left after that track. Perhaps if the place was crowded I would've enjoyed myself more. The people who were there were great though so I do appreciate all the crazy, fun dancing I was witness to. But I think I prefer Honey in a bit of a smaller venue like Cherry or Tribe Hyperclub. I think a big space like Stereo can support her sound but a smaller venue would give it more impact. I kept hoping she was going to play "Flash" but she didn't. As always, she was fun to watch, diva-licious, but Stereo has its DJ booth at a distance and elevated so it's hard to really feel connected at times. Still, I would definitely go out and see her again.

No comments: