Saturday, March 1, 2008

I've got Spring on my mind


Yes folks, we made it through February. And for some reason God is determined to make Montreal a Winter wonderland. It's as though Montreal is a snow globe he is in love with and keeps shaking every two days. It's been a long winter!

I've survived another physically demanding work week. Because the weather has been changing so frequently I tend to be in a state of constant sniffling but I am determined not to be obsessed with "always feeling under the weather". After doing Landmark, I really do get the idea that what you think, you are. So a little sniffle, though uncomfortable, does not need to be over-dramatized.

The weather has altered me somewhat. It's been hard for me to accept the fact that I am in hibernation mode. Most people here are used to this weather and continue to lead active social lives. Me, I'm grateful that I get out of bed in the morning and come home from work. I know this will change once the weather has, so I am definitely looking forward to spring.

Still, there were a few things I did this winter that were pretty cool. Igloo-fest was "malade". The founders of Picnik Electronik do it every winter and it's an outdoor electronic music event that takes place in the Old Port of Montreal for two consecutive weekends. I was really impressed by it because the overall vibe was so jovial; people were really getting down to the beats of great DJs such as Ghislain Poirer. In the midst of a snowfall, he actually started playing calypso beats. I was wearing four layers of clothing just to stay warm so I couldn't decide if I thought it was torture or a stroke of genius. The crowd was loving it. A lot of people were dressed in crazy, Value-Village ski attire. The whole place was like entering a European ski-chalet meets charlie and the chocolate factory. It was an awesome sight. There were actual igloos in the front entrance and food stands in case you got hungry. As you left, security would wave goodbye, dancing to the music and would say, "see you soon!"

On Thursday I went to see James Zabiela at Tribe Hyperclub. I was really excited that this opportunity came along because I decided to cancel my trip to Toronto last minute and he was one of the reasons I wanted to go. I am working to save money for new DJ equipment and though my friends are important to me, I am really focussed on making this dream of mine a reality and that is going to take some sacrifices on my end. So when I found out that James would be spinning in Montreal before Toronto I was really happy. I was able to make some connections too and get in for free on the guestlist which probably wouldn't have happened in Toronto (another reason I am digging Montreal.) James Zabiela is a fantastic DJ. He's a technical wizard when it comes to Pioneer equipment and he's always fun to watch because he genuinely looks like he enjoys what he's doing and really smiles and connects with the clubbers. His set was what I have come to expect from James and I am happy to say that I didn't stay too long. There would have been a time I would have forced myself to keep dancing till four in the morning but my new goal is to leave while everything is still cresting. Besides things were starting to get messy already at 1:30 am and that was a turn off for me. I was reminded of something my sister pointed out to me a few weeks ago. The legal drinking age in Montreal is 18. Meaning these kids were born in 1990. I know, just take a deep breath. So James gets an A, club ambience gets a D. But what can you do.

And just to conclude on the subject of my new job, I have to say that even though it is hard work that I don't always like, I work with some of the prettiest people in Montreal. I think the staff at M Brgr is beautiful, inside and out and call me shallow, but I am totally digging the fact that I get to go into a place five days a week and be surrounded by beautiful faces and personalities.

I believe that this is a garden, and we are all flowers - from the movie "Party Girl"

No comments: